Tuesday, November 18, 2014

First Day in Lex

My first day in Lexington--record-breaking cold. My poor AirBnB host may not make much on my stay since the heat is on constantly, in a war with the steady breeze leaking thought the windows of this funky charming old apartment on South Limestone.

But I am feeling wonderful warmth from my new colleagues at LexArts and just about everyone I meet.  There is respect for this organization, affection for its staff, and optimism for its future.

And lots of work to do, fast.

Some Lex Life experiences today: gifts of a Big Lex lapel pin (a famous horse), books on the Lexington Tattoo Project and Historic Lexington, a bottle of rye whiskey from a local distiller. (Not bourbon? Thank goodness. I don't like bourbon yet. But I will.) A ten-minute traffic jam in downtown  as rush hour coincided with a women's (!) basketball game at Rupp. Lots and lots of emergency vehicles and sirens. Amazing square doughnuts.

5 comments:

  1. When tasting bourbon, make sure to add just a splash of water to let it bloom. Sniff, wet your lips, small sip, roll it around just a little, then delight in the after taste. I grew to like Bourbon's sweet, oaky flavors that a a littler earthier than Irish whiskey, but not the extreme peatiness of Scotch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Silagh! Looking forward to getting started....

      Delete
  2. LOVE you in the red jacket, Nan! But trust me when I tell you that BLUE is the color you will need to have on hand --- WILDCAT Blue!! Enjoy your Bluegrass welcome --- I have lived there and it is a great place to land!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember a roadtrip to Lexington to collect an amazing painting for our Romance of Transportation show on the Artrain. I can't remember the artist's name but the image has stayed with me, a bright pink junker in a field with fascinating abstraction going on in the headlights... Enjoy your new home!!

    ReplyDelete